Finniss is a small town located on the Victor Harbour railway line just as it crosses over the Finniss River.
Originally the town was surveyed in 1867 and named Queen’s Own Town after the Queens on regiment of Foot, a British Army Infantry Regiment. It was during this time that the railway line was being extended from Goolwa to Strathalbyn.
The town was renamed Finniss in 1910 although the adjacent railway station was already called Finniss. The station had been named in honour of one of the early surveyors in the area and the first South Australian Premier, Colonel Boyle Travers Finniss. The local Post Office was opened in April in 1869 (renamed to Finniss in 1910) when the Railway Line to Middleton was opened, and a general store was opened in the location if the towns current general store sometime between 1902 and 1916 (the records are unclear on this).
The first railway from Goolwa to Port Elliot began construction in 1851 with extensions beginning in 1866 to Strathalbyn. Three larger bridges were needed in this extension to Strathalbyn over Currency Creek, the Black Swamp and Finniss River.
The land at Finniss would have been inhabited by the Warki tribe of the Ngarrindjeri tribal lands. The Warki people relied on the constant supply of water from the Finniss river and the Lake.
The current population stands at around 300.